The Satin - British Cavy Council Standard
The Solid Satin is a solid-coloured cavy with a satinised coat, satinisation being due to hollow hair shafts in the coat. The satin sheen of the coat is of great importance.
To assess the degree and quality of the sheen, judges should handle the cavy in such a way that the coat ‘catches the light’ to its fullest advantage.
Satinisation imparts an extra intensity to any colour, so that exact compliance with shades in other varieties should not be expected.
- Hairs of a different colour to be penalised according to quantity.
- Areas of darker pigmentation on rims of ears to be penalised.
- White toenails, except on Whites, to be penalised.
How the Satin Gene Works When Breeding :
When breeding a Satin x Satin Guinea Pig, the pups will have 100% Satin genes.
Satin Carriers are Guinea Pigs that have a normal coat but are carrying the Satin within their genes that will be passed on to their offsprings. This would be classed as a Satin Carrier.
When breeding Satin x Satin Carrier there is a 50% chance of getting Satins and 50% of getting Carriers.
When breeding a Satin Carrier x Satin Carrier
there is a 25% chance of getting Satins and 75% of getting Satin Carriers.
Satin is a recessive gene